March 26, 2010

The Ferdy Mayne//Diver (Shallow Water)

Hipsilanti: Local Music Friday
What's up with Local Music Fridays?

One of my favorite things about going on tour is getting to hear and meet lots of awesome bands from different parts of the country. I realize this is kind of selfish, but there's part of me that feels like the shows constitute some kind of personalized multi-city festival that only I (and, ahem, the rest of Palmyra) get to attend. Something else about tour is that you learn to expect that one or two shows might be shitty, either because of a shitty crowd or a shitty lineup. While our show in GR was definitely a bit thin, I am happy to report that we played with nothing but fantastically talented bands. There was not a bad group on any bill. Such a luxury!

In Detroit, we played with White Pines, Chris Bathgate and a band reccomended to me by Brandon called The Ferdy Mayne. Let me say that I LOVED these guys. Led by the charming and roguish Shane Firek (who at one point introduced the band as "The Farty Boys"), TFM were not only super sweet dudes, but they also put on one hell of a show. They simultaneously owned the stage and had a rollicking good time. The music itself is a little bit of alt-country, a little bit 90s indie and a little bit rock and roll. I can get down.

The group is presumably named after the German actor, Ferdy Mayne, although I have no idea why.



Diver (Shallow Water).mp3

Hear more Ferdy Mayne.

No comments: