July 31, 2009

Aleise Barnett//You Will Descend Me

On Local Music Friday, life is like a ziplock bag of fresh Michigan farm-grown hand-picked cherries, just like the one I currently have on my desk.
Tell me...what is this Local Music Fridays?

Aleise Barnett might actually be the nicest person I have ever met. She’s so smart, so fun and such a sweetheart—I’m very lucky to have her as a friend.

The first time I met Aleise/saw her play music was at the end of the summer of 2002. Black Elk was having an acoustic show, and Michael and I were on the bill. Aleise also played and while she strummed her slightly out-of-tune acoustic guitar and sang along, in the lush backyard of the Elk, Mike and I talked about how she reminded us of Cat Power. We approached her after: “Hey. We liked that. You remind us of Cat Power.” She told us it was all she had been listening to all summer.

But to just compare her to Cat Power would be doing girl a disservice, because I’ve seen a lot of versatility in Aleise’s music, from the CDR album she recorded in an Ann Arbor parking structure, to this track, which was included in the Fred Thomas/Ypsilanti Records-produced comp, Ypsilanti Folk Singers.

Lots to love about this song: the spindly tremolo-heavy early 60s sounding electric guitar riff, that brings you back to that retro-school dance you never attended, that sad little organ section, Aleise’s vocals, willowy and melancholy and sometimes French. Tres bien.

I think Aleise is currently in Atlanta, taking a little hiatus from music-making, but for my sake and yours, I will hope that this break will be short-lived.



You Will Descend Me.mp3

But you never fall completely in love.

2 comments:

nachobel said...

OK so I just found this and let me tell you

This woman
this aleise barnett

I love her music. I went on a crazy, crazy hunt to track down her album "where the orchid's are" or "grow" or something, I don't have it in front of me. I love that album. I love it. Like, I cannot describe to you how much that album has touched me. It's so organic...man. I'm not good with words so I'll stop gushing now.

I'm at work so I can't listen to this song on here but I WILL ASAP. Aleise! Make more music!

I got the album at Shaman Drum bookstore, and the only reason was because the owner heard me asking for it, the guy at the desk knew nothing. I heard her song "walking downtown on a friday night" at like 3 AM on the radio, I called the next day to ask who it was, no one knew, a week later i found out by calling the same DJ at the same time, he pointed me in some direction, some email, then some call or something, finally shaman drum - SUCCESS!

anyway, I love her music.

g said...

Hey nachobel,

Aleise is a wonderful human being and a fantastic songwriter. Glad you finally had luck tracking down her album.

I'll let her know that you are so touched by it--I'm sure she'd love to hear that.

G