May 1, 2009

Press Color//Like Cancer

Local Summer Jams.
[Local! Music! Friday!]!
Tell me...what is this Local Music Fridays?


In August of 2006, my friend Cayden put on a local music festival in Ann Arbor called Lawnaroo. I played one of the shows (in a weird church space, maybe?) on the same night as a band then called Novel Citizen. Although 2006 is a while ago now, this band is still kicking and even has a snazzy new band name, Press Color.

Yes, the summer of ’06—that was a great one. It was my last summer in A2 and as a result, I was crazy. I spent most of my time hanging out with friends, drinking, bbqing and setting off fireworks. Actually, we were known to take monthly trips down to Ohio to eat a Waffle House and purchase cheap fireworks. Ohio, you are good for something.

This was also the summer where Emily housesat for some bougie ex-hippies out in Chelsea and we scheduled our lives around being at their gorgeous country house, outfitted with two pups, a tire swing, an ATV and a pond for swimming and kayaking, as much as possible. Golden, golden summer.

Anyway, at Lawneroo, I remember being impressed with how these guys sounded, especially for how young they seemed to me (I’M OLD). Now, getting a chance to listen to some of their newer recordings, I’m even more impressed. Press Color effectively blends funk and punk (pfunk? fpunk? ?unk?) into something pretty avant garde and new, not unlike the sound sometimes delivered by The Fall (although a bit more formal in presentation).



Like Cancer.mp3

Press Color is coming to NYC in June. Stay tuned for more info on dates.


Summer Jam: In the Summer of 2006, Cuban president Fidel Castro temporarily relinquished power to his brother Raúl after health issues. Also, Spinach contaminated with E. coli killed 2 and poisoned over 100 others in 20 states.

No comments: