February 2, 2011

Smoking Popes//If You Don't Care

Sometimes it's hard to figure out what makes you like a song. This one, for example, has tons of things that I would ordinarily find kind of obnoxious, but as a whole just really work: the vaguely pop-punk chorus; the occasionally overdramatic vocals that contribute to a proto-emo feeling. Still, it gets me.

This is one of those songs that can make me cry. Maybe it's the way that Matt Caterer croons those vocals. Maybe it's that you can actually feel his sadness in there. Or maybe it's just that we can all remember being at the point in a relationship that he describes and that just that remembering is enough to dredge up some serious personal melancholy.

To be honest, I don't really know that much about Smoking Popes, but I know I love this song. It turned up on the mix from a friend a few years ago and it continues to resonate every time I hear it.

A word of warning: please don't listen to this if you're actually going through a breakup. You will not make it out alive.



If You Don't Care.mp3

If you don't care, I don't care,
We don't belong together
Cause we don't belong anywhere.

If you're not sure, I'm not sure
What all these tears are falling for.
Let's decide not to care anymore.


***
Somewhat unrelated: I did a little guest writing for Nerve. You can check it out here.

No comments: