February 22, 2011

Jawbox//Cooling Card

A and I took a much-needed trip to SF this weekend. Getting time to hang out with besties and walk around a city that feels real can totally put my mind at ease after a month-long sojourn in the weirdness that is Southern California.

Saturday night was a bit raucous. Numerous bottles of whiskey were consumed. I would like to clear my name now by saying that I stayed soberist, of course that was after accidentally ordering 16 onces of Bushmills at a bar in The Mission.

Regardless, the evening closed around 3AM with everyone vying for the computer speakers. I can't even tell you how happy I was when Bryn (who has already tackled this particular band here, along with a video link to the Tori Amos (really!?) song "Cornflake Girl") put on this Jawbox jam, which made its first appearance to me on a mixtape circa 1998.

Jawbox were veterans of the same 90s DC punk scene that gave us Dischord Records and Fugazi and Shudder to Think and all that other real shit. They reached the height of their popularity in the mid-90s. By the time I was getting into them, they were just breaking up.

Oh, to be 15 again...



Cooling Card.mp3

Since I've got myself an easy job,
Money passed behind and now I'm robbed.
Sold away my rights forever
To something that was multi-splendored.
I'll pass up the decision once again.

No comments: