July 21, 2010

Eddy Grant//Electric Avenue

I think this song, a radio hit from the 80s, is really good for the summer. Something about it feels…sweaty? Is that ok to say?

This song is named after an actual street called Electric Avenue, which is in Brixton, London. It's so-named, presumably, because as the main drag, it was the first to have electricity in the neighborhood. I remember going to Brixton for the first time and immediately making the correlation between the street and the song…then having the song in my head for the rest of the night. Perhaps the tune's only flaw is that it's a tad repetitive. Sorry in advance.

On second thought, maybe the reason this song reminds me of summer has something to do with warm weather black-outs. We haven’t had one yet this year in NYC, but I hope you all have candles or charged flashlights or something like that ready and waiting.



Electric Ave.mp3

We gonna rock down to
Electric Avenue
And then we'll take it higher.

No comments: