May 26, 2010

The Dandy Warhols//Not if You Were The Last Junkie On Earth, Bohemian Like You

Everything I've ever listened to from The Dandy Warhols confirms my suspicion that these guys were never anything more than a novelty act. That said, novelty has its place in the world and sometimes clever, funny quips are enough to keep you engaged for a song or two (besides this, the most interesting thing about the band is their weird feud with the Brian Jonestown Massacre). But hey, this blog is all about songs, so let's do it, right?

Although I was vaguely aware of "Bohemian Like You" in the late 90s, I really never paid much attention until my friend/college roommate Kot (who is coming to visit TODAY!) reintroduced it to me. I checked out a few other songs and found them to be consistently enjoyable in an infectiously poppy, irreverently humorous way.

Say what you will about the gimmicky nature of the lyrics and the songs--these guys get it right a lot of the time and that's what makes them so hilarious. The Dandys knew how to critique hipsterism before hipsterism was a thing (is it any suprise that these guys are from Portland?). Amazing. Grunge is over, so heroin IS so passe and thus, it would be much cooler to get a few piercings and question your sexuality. Weird relationships with not-as-cool rich guys for rent money, casual drug use in too-cool bars, eating vegan, waiters in bands: it's all here and it's funny cause it's true. The Dandys wrote the soundtrack to Williamsburg before there was a Williamsburg...and for that, I think we should give them a few songs:



Not If You Were The Last Junkie On Earth.mp3

Bohemian Like You.mp3

So what do you do?
Oh yeah, I wait tables too.
No, I haven't heard your band
Cause you guys are pretty new.
But if you dig on Vegan food,
Well, come over to my work.
I'll have them cook you something that you'll really love,

Cause I like you.
Yeah, I like you,
And I'm feeling so Bohemian like you.

5 comments:

w00tpro said...

Actually, the name of the song is Not If You Were The Last Junkie On Earth. Not Heroin is so Passe. I've made the same mistake as well. Love the article though!

g said...

Right you are! Updated.

thezenofmaking said...

Not gonna lie, there will always be a soft spot in my heart for the Dandy Warhols (and for my 90s crush on Courtney Taylor-Taylor).

g said...

He was kinda hot!

cd said...

I definitely think the dandys are more than a novelty act... they have some great catchy novelty tunes like these, but there is a lot more on thirteen tales than that. it's an incredible album.