March 4, 2010

Sebadoh, The Breeders//Freed Pig

Sorry, guys. Yesterday was a little busy and then I had to go play a show. As a result, I was OSS derelict. I hope you can forgive me. As usual, two songs today is my way of trying to make it up to you.

You know how most of the time, the book is better than the movie. I usually feel this way about covers too--the original almost always trumps the cover. However, in this case, I feel completely torn. Both versions of this song are fucking fantastic.

Sebadoh, which was comprised of members Dinosaur Jr., Folk Implosion and (strangely) Fiery Furnaces), was a band that definied the late 80s/early 90s lo-fi indie sound. In keeping with this, their (original) version of "Freed Pig" is grainy and slightly meandering, with plenty of treble-heavy guitar sound out in front.

The Breeders, who I've discussed much on this blog and actually were the feature of the first OSS post ever, quickened the tempo significantly and punk'ed up the guitar lines and drums.

I hope these help you through your Thursday. I need all the help I can get.



The Freed Pig.mp3 (Sebadoh Version)



The Freed Pig.mp3 (Breeders Version)

Cut me first,
Make it easy.

No comments: