February 26, 2010

Stina Nordenstam//Winterkilling

It just keeps snowing. Is it ever going to end? I am kind of freaking out about it. When I was a kid, it used to snow like this, but we haven't had this kind of winter in quite some time and I am not used to it anymore. If I was in Michigan, I would expect it. I would feel prepared for and even welcome the nights spent in, drinking whiskey and playing board games. But this is New York. It's so out of context. I can't wrap my head around it.

There's something else I've been trying to wrap my head around this week. It seems possible that A. might be going to school in California next fall, which means that I may be living in California in a year. If a constantly snow-filled season is unexpected, the prospect of me living in Southern California is downright foreign. Still, at least right now, I am feeling like the former may justify the latter. 70 and sunny's sounding better and better!

This song, by reclusive Swedish artist Stina Nordenstam, is about hating winter and moving somewhere for someone (although in the narrator of this song's case, maybe not for the right reasons). Although the actual situation described in this song has little to do with my own, I feel you, Stina. Winter is killing me.



Winterkilling.mp3

You say winter's killing you
And you can't stand the season.
It has no smell or flavor.
I left the city for you.
There was no other reason.

No comments: