December 15, 2009

Koushik//Pretty Soon

I first heard this song (over and over again) in a friend’s car. Then, when I was on outing hunting for this, I saw one of Koushik’s albums, a limited edition instrumental thing, displayed prominently in Other Music. We all know what that means.

Koushik is a Canadian DJ and electronic musician who has (predictably) worked with Caribou (and also Madlib and Fourtet). I believe that much of this music has been produced by label mate/founder and recipient of much revival-hype, Peanut Butter Wolf.

Like Caribou, his music has a hazy retro feel, with one foot in the past (analog quality, references to lazy bossa nova, 60s pop and mellow funk) and one in the future (tight highly-edited drums often cascade in to form delicious beats and Koushik’s soft and breathy voice compliments the tracks nicely).



Pretty Soon.mp3

Pretty soon I’ll be ready to die.

No comments: