November 18, 2009

Aimee Mann//One, Jon Brion//I Believe She's Lying

Continuing on this week's wave of Nilsson (OH MY GOD IT WAS NILSSON WEEK!), here is a recording of one of my favorite artists covering one of his signature songs, produced by one of my favorite producers for another of my favorite movies AND a song by that producer, who also scored the movie. Following?

Artist: Aimee Mann
Song: One
Producer: Jon Brion
Movie: Magnolia

I love Magnolia. I think I can quote the whole thing. Gross, right? I love the Magnolia soundtrack too because, aside from the Supertramp tracks, what's not to love? Mann's rendition of "One" makes the whole thing seems like an introspective and depressing affair.

Also everyone knows I have a serious hard-on for JB and everything he does. I'm shocked I haven't put one of his songs up here yet. There are so many potentials, but I love this one for it's signature JB crazy drums.

Bonus points, Paul Thomas Anderson, writer and director of Magnolia, Boogie Nights, There Will Be Blood, Etc., was dating Fiona Apple at the time of Magnolia's production. One of her pantings is in the film.

AND WITH THAT, I'm signing off for the week, OSS. Hope you've enjoyed my ramblings. I mean, thanks for your patience. Now, somebody get me a ticket to Largo.



One.mp3




I Believe She's Lying.mp3

"No" is the saddest experience you'll ever know.
Yes, it's the saddest experience you'll ever know
Because one is the loneliest number that you'll ever do.
One is the loneliest number that you'll ever know.

No comments: