October 7, 2009

Billie Holiday//Autumn in New York

I woke up this morning in Park Slope, with light streaming in through a window that overlooks an overgrown garden of low-slumped bushes and just-changing leaves. The weather is beautiful. Not warm. Not cold. Sunny.

Autumn in New York really is the best time. Summer has always been my favorite season, but living in Brooklyn has put Fall in close competition.

As for Lady Day, she brings her signature moving and completely honest performance to this song. If you don't know all about her, you should find out more. I would also highly recommend reading her compltely insane and largely untrue autobiography, Lady Sings the Blues.

I've been stuck in all morning working, but this afternoon, I plan to take a stroll or a bike ride in Prospect Park, to enjoy the weather and the trees. Next weekend--who wants to go apple-picking?



Autumn in New York.mp3

Here on the twenty-seventh floor, looking down on the city I hate and adore.
Autumn in New York, why does it seem so inviting?
Autumn in New York, it spells the thrill of first-nighting.
Glittering crowds and shimmering clouds in canyons of steel;
They're making me feel I'm home.

No comments: