October 20, 2009

Atlas Sound//Walkabout

What did you want to be when you grew up? Coincidentally, this is a question I recently pondered while biking around Prospect Park on a gorgeous fall day last week. My early childhood answer alternated between “a fireman” and “a saxophone player.” I actually think this says a lot about me, but I’m not going to go into that right now.

I am slightly anti-CMJ, but still SO EXCITED to see Atlas Sound and Broadcast tonight at Le Poisson Rouge (sadly sold out). I’ve been quite into Deerhunter for a little while now, but decided to beef up on my Atlas Sound in preparation for tonight. Been listening to logos (which features Panda Bear on this track and Stereolab’s Laetitia Sadier on another) on repeat now all morning. It’s so good!

Bradford Cox might be one of the only true geniuses that I can see in music today. He’s got this incredible sense of melody and finds ways to recontextualize often simple lyrics, forcing the listener to re-examine meaning. Combining these major skills with a killer aesthetic for sound and a clawing, desperate, haunting, emotive and honest voice, well, each tune seems to emerge an instant classic. I actually hear real songwriting skill here, complete with hooks that beg you to return over and over again, like the best REM or JV albums.



Walkabout.mp3

What did you want to see?
What did you want to be when you grew up?

Feel free to answer. I’m curious. I’d like to know.

No comments: