July 21, 2009

Kings of Convenience//Leaning Against the Wall, I Don't Know... (Remix)

Apologies for my absence yesterday. A string of haphazard occurrences and silly mistakes left me unable to post. Don't worry; I'm back on my feet now.

I know I'm not the only one who had severe trouble getting out of bed this morning. The facebook status updates of my friends told many similar stories. The sky was gray and the rain was falling in that peaceful pitter-pat that speaks loudly and emphatically to our primitive instinctual sides; "stay in bed because you're warm and it sucks out here and there's nothing you can get done when it's like this." A. and I definitely had a super rough time getting up. There was a lot of hitting snooze, resetting the alarm, hitting snooze again.

I decided to put the Kings of Convenience on and get back into bed. Nothing could have been more perfect waking-up music. A. commented that it sounded like Gossamer. Brilliant.

KofC is a Norwegian acoustic duo of Erlend Øye (who, in addition to being part of Royksopp, The Whitest Boy Alive and James Figurine, also released an awesome electronic solo album a few years back) and Eirik Glambek Bøe. Their songs are beautiful, quiet, somber affairs, reminiscent of Nick Drake, Simon and Garfunkel and the softer Belle and Sebastian tunes. I discovered them (through friends) freshman year in college and they served as the perfect soundtrack to dour/hungover Michigan sad times.

Also, the only thing I ever learned from Disney World's Epcot Center is that Norwegian people are the hottest in the world.

Here are two songs (to get you back for yesterday), the first from their initial studio effort, Quiet is the New Loud, the second from their remix album that I used as a soundtrack to walk around and around a cruise-ship for a week in the early summer of 2002 (another story entirely), Versus.



Leaning Against the Wall.mp3

I Don't Know What I Can Save You From.mp3

I asked you to come over,
and within half an hour,
you were at my door.
I had never really known you,
but I realized that the one you were before
had changed into somebody for whom
I wouldn't mind to put the kettle on.

No comments: