June 18, 2009

Smog//Hit the Ground Running

My number one regret from Northside was not getting to see Bill Callahan, who, according to Ethan, “played all the hits!” Man, too bad. I will definitely catch him next time he’s in town.

I really like the album Knock Knock because Callahan used a small children’s choir on many of these songs. I am a sucker for kids voices in grown-up melancholy indie rocks songs. Like the kids sing at the end of Yeasayer’s dark anthem “2010”. Or better yet, like Yo La Tengo’s own children singing in their cover of Sun Ra’s “Nuclear War”. There’s nothing better than hearing a kid yell something like, “it’s a motherfucker! Don’t ya know? When they push that button, your ass gotta go!”

I think this is a good song for today. I officially submitted my letter of resignation at work in order to pursue various creative endeavors…in the middle of a giant recession. I’m three parts excited and one part horrified—it’s scary! Still, I think it’s the right thing to do. I have to leave this country, though there are some nice folk here. All I know to do is hit the ground running.

Subject change: I remember when I found this album on vinyl. Ali and I traveled long and far on the CTA to get to that killer record shop in Hyde Park. Huh. I’m going to Chicago in a few days…maybe we can go back?! That place rules.

ALSO, in record store news, the wonderful Insound (where I briefly interned) is having a blowout warehouse sale today. If you're in NYC and you love music, worth checking out. Here's the info.

Also also , did you guys know that Bill Callahan was born in Maryland? That’s the best thing to happen to Maryland since The Wire…or actually…wait…that’s the other way around.



Hit the Ground Running.mp3

I couldn’t memorize a century of slang
Or learn to tell the same story again and again and again.
Oh,
I had to leave the country,
Though there was some nice folk there,
And now I don’t know where I’m going.
All I know is, I’ll hit the ground running.

No comments: