June 8, 2009

Mouthful of Bees//Please and Thank You

Monday --> Mail --> Bag --> Lady --> Finger --> Point --> of no Return -> to Sender
What is Monday Mail?

It seems like more and more of my friends are science nerds these days. What’s up with that? Did it just become cooler to love science (obviously, yes) or are there just more science nerds in the world these days or did I just get to be friends with more of them recently? Either way, I’m totally happy. I think it’s an interesting discipline, but it’s never been a natural strong suit for me.

That said, I thought it would be fun to celebrate the World Science Fest along with my UBER-SMART/UBER-CUTE/UBER-NERDY friends in my own little literary/music-infused way. Thus, I declare this week Chain Reaction Week at OSS. Here’s how it works: tomorrow's song will start with the last word of today’s song, and so on and so forth, forming a week-long chain of titles.

We’ll start with some mail about a very pretty (and very mannerly) song from (a painfully titled, but animal-named) band called Mouthful of Bees (YOUWCH!).

Ian from Afternoon Records says:

“Thought I'd pick your brain on the new Mouthful of Bees record. It's amazing. If you're into the whole Grizzly Bear/Animal Collective/Brian Wilson crew, I think you'll really like it.”

I listened to the album and I do like it. The music is lush, meandering and twinkly. Also, any band that has a song called Thomas Aquinas (after all, I do think Science is the new Religion) is pretty much fine with me.



Please and Thank You.mp3

MoB recently released their first album on Afternoon Records. Find out more here.

A chain reaction is a sequence of reactions where a reactive product or by-product causes additional reactions to take place. In layman's terms, a chain reaction is a type of reaction in chemistry and physics, in which the formation of one product leads directly to another or series of any events where each one is triggered by the previous event.

No comments: