April 20, 2009

Hurray for the Riff Raff//Bricks

It's springtime! It's Monday Mail!
What is Monday Mail?

How was your weekend? Mine was awesome. After a long, cold winter, it finally felt like spring here in the northeast. I spent lots of time outside and it was delicious.

Now, to business. This week’s MM comes from Kevin over at Cul-de-sac. He writes:

I cannot talk up Hurray for the Riff Raff enough. They're incredible. Thought I'd toss this your way and see what you think.

I think I like it! I always appreciate when a band can give me some unique influences. Per their myspace:

townes van zandt, bob dylan, amelia jackie, barnabus jones, stalker texas ranger, shaye cohn, gillian welsch, jerry lewis, the beatles, judy garland, bessie smith, wire, neil young, the velvet underground, billie holiday, angela davis, audre lorde, kathleen hannah, daniel johnston, kiowa wells, pauly lingerfelt, drop dead fred

How weird. How awesome. All this old timey folksyness + new timey folksyness + general rad + beautiful vox + interesting lyrics = a win. And if you know me, you know I’m a sucker for clarinet solos. Something about the sound is also uniquely New Orleans flavored, which supplies just the added spice needed. Bravo.



Bricks.mp3

Now thank Kevin and check them out.


We stand tall
Together like towers.
Well, together like towers
We fall,
We fall,
We fall.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

And they're really awesome people to talk to, too. Yay!

Emily Bate said...

hey dude, i hadn't played you this band before?! i've seen them like a million timeses--danced to their slow jams at a show while drunk on MOONSHINE for pete's sake.

g said...

No, you hadn't! But the fact that you drank MOONSHINE while watching them makes them even better.