September 4, 2008

Eels//Novocaine for the Soul

I’m genuinely surprised this hasn’t come up yet--this being my Jon Brion obsession. I think Jon Brion is the Jesus Christ of producers. I think he is better than Jesus Christ. I think he is King Midas .

Honestly, this man probably produced most of your favorite albums. He definitely produced most of mine. His impressive list of clients and collaborators includes Elliott Smith, Aimee Mann, Rufus Wainwright, Evan Dando, Kanye West, Spoon. Fiona Apple, Rhett Miller. As if that wasn’t enough, he’s also done tons of solo and soundtrack work (remember Eternal Sunshine? That as him).

Ahem ahem. Now that I got that off my chest, we are not actually gathered here today to discuss the esteemed JB. On the contrary, I want to post a song by one of his collaborators, Mark Oliver Everett AKA A Man Called E AKA Eels.

I came to this band too late, but I still appreciate their lush and varied sound. This song is a sprawling mess of glorious…which is also what I feel like today. Novocaine for the Soul: I could definitely use some.



Novocaine for the Soul.mp3

Guess who’s living here with the great undead.
This paint by numbers life is fucking with my head.

No comments: