June 9, 2010

Eurythmics//Sweet Dreams (Are Made of This)

If you're my age, this song probably conjures horrifying images of the video that accompanied Marilyn Manson's cover of it. Speaking of which, where is that guy now? No real updates on him since 2007 when he divorced over an affair he was having with a 19-year old. Oh, well, back to the matter at hand.

For me, I most associate this song with a car, specifically my dad's red handmedown Volvo Gulf, which he named Heintz. My dad has a thing for naming his cars after generals from the countries of their corresponding auto comanpaies. For example, the Subaru was named Tojo and the Ford was named Omar. I changed the car's official name to Omar the Wonder Car when I inherited it for my last year of high school. I just couldn't get down with the military naming trend.

Anyway, Heintz had a Eurythmics tape floating around in it that would sometimes end up being popped into the stereo. Honestly, I was probably only about five or six years old, but even then, this song kind of freaked me out. It's really dark. It's like, dark at its core (I mean, come on, it's obviously about S+M). But still, that darkness is kind of what's great about it--because that synth line is hella catchy...and yet...you just can't help feeling that pure evil has made a creepy little home in the heart of this song. Probably what made it such an obvious Manson cover.

Also, this video is fucking amazing. Guys, this video was released in 1983 and it's better than SO many of the videos I've seen recently. That cello part? Oh my God.

A final note, apparently there is a website that will take the audio from any YouTube video and change it into an mp3 file? Wonders never cease.



Sweet Dreams.mp3

Sweet dreams are made of this.
Who am I to disagree?
Travel the world and the seven seas,
Everybody's looking for something.
Some of them want to use you.
Some of them want to get used by you.
Some of them want to abuse you.
Some of them want to be abused.

No comments: