April 23, 2010

Laurel Halo//Embassy

Lush and Local: Local Music Friday
What's up with Local Music Fridays?

Sorry, I missed yesterday. I was putting all my energy into putting my apartment back together after the big shack up. Besides, I figured you'd still be playing that France Gall track on repeat.

It's funny how you can live with people in a very small town and not meet them until you move to a very large town. This was the case with Laurel, who I met by chance at a party at Sharon's house.

Laurel just got a shout-out from this cute little music website. You may have heard of it. It's called Pitchfork. Pretty cool.

This recording is very textured and lush. Those dudes compared her to Dirty Projectors, which I can definitely hear, especially the way the vocal lines weave in and out of the instrumentation. The music itself also reminds me a bit of Bell.



Embassy.mp3

Though I've never had the chance to see Laurel live, I bet it's rad. I'm always curious to hear how recordings like this translate into live performance. Catch her at Glasslands on May 4.

No comments: