March 23, 2010

Lauryn Hill//Lost Ones

I’m back on the grid! Tour was a total blast, but I have to say, I am having serious trouble with the re-entry. For the last week, I’ve had very limited access to all things electronic and was hanging out with new and old friends in different cities every night. Yesterday morning, Karl and I were sharing a pear by some train tracks and talking about how we felt like some kind of hobos that didn’t exist anymore. Then, today, I’m back at the office. It’s freaky.

Anyway, in addition to going old school in life, we went (somewhat) old school in our van and only listened to CDs for our whole trip. This was fun and also refreshing. When I heard this song come on (I was in the WAY BACK at that point), I was so excited. I yelled up to the front seat, “is this The Miseducation?! Please tell me we have this whole album! Please tell me we also have The Score!” Kenny confirmed that yes, it was and yes, we did and yes, we also did. YESSS!

I don’t think I’ve listened to this since high school, but shit, it rules. Lauryn Hill should only rap and never sing, something she completely got wrong after this one. Additionally, she hadn’t yet gone off the deep end of Jesus and cults and making everyone call her “Empress.” Whoa, Nelly. It's also interesting how this song starts with the line, “it’s funny how money changes situations,” considering the musicians who helped make this album (aka New Ark) had to sue Hill to be paid for it and settled with her to the tune of $5 million out of court.

Anyway, crazy pants antics aside, some of these tracks are Hill at her finest (“Doo Wop (That Thing)”was both a number one hit and a number one jam). My friend Tom Walker actually gave me this album. He was teaching me how to drive and we started talking about The Fugees. He told me I had to hear it and it showed up in the mail a few days later. Getting handmade postcards or music in the (snail) mail unexpectedly is basically the best ever. Speaking of, I’m really looking forward to opening up the package that contains a Pony Pants album. Oh, yes yes.



Lost Ones.mp3

Some wan’ play young Lauryn like she dumb,
But remember not a game new under the sun.
Everything you did has already been done.
I know all the tricks from Bricks to Kingston.

No comments: