November 11, 2009

The Beatles//Taxman

I posted The Beach Boys yesterday and The Rolling Stones last week, but you know what...I've never posted a song by The Beatles.

The whole Rolling Stones vs. Beatles: WHO IS THE BEST BAND EVARRR?! debate is really tired and stupid to me. As Karl and I once discussed, there's no use in even comparing. The Rolling Stones are a rock and roll band. The Beatles were a pop band. Not to mention, way to keep the debate as narrow as possible: white Brit boys who love to copy american R+B...really? There's no one else?

I doubt there's much I could say about The Beatles that hasn't already been said. Amazing band. Amazing canon of work. I kind of enjoy them most when they're being a bit tongue in cheek, like "Dr. Robert" (Revolver is my favorite) or "Back in the USSR", or when they're bringing a little heat to the music. I dislike them most when they're being cheesy (Ringo's most annoying "Yellow Submarine") or when they're being too cutesy (I believe that Paul was the original whiney emo kid).

I was thinking of putting "Back in the USSR" up today, actually, to jump on the bandwagon of celebrating the anniversary of the fall of the Berlin Wall...and because yesterday accidently got so political. But, thinking about it, that song doesn't even rate close to my favorite song..so I'm sticking with the first Beatles song I ever fell in love with: Taxman.

I often find that I love George's songs the most. This song is quite clever. At one point, it makes a funny little play on words, equating "Taxman" with "Batman" ("Bat Macumba," anyone?). At another, it references by name two prominent British politicians, Harold Wilson and Edward Heath. Of course, it also points out everything the gov. could ever find a way to tax! Talk about ever-politically relevant.



Taxman.mp3

If you drive a car, I’ll tax the street,
If you try to like to sit, I’ll tax your seat,
If you get too cold, I’ll tax the heat.
If you take a walk, I’ll tax your feet:
Taxman!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I have to say that I agree with you, George Harrison was the best Beatle. His songs and lyrics have been showing up on a contest I have been working on and it shows that not everyone is all about John and Paul! The contest involves writing a song using Beatles titles and you can win a trip to Vegas, a stay at The Mirage, and tickets to LOVE. The website is http://thebeatlesinvasion.com . Let me know if you have questions.

Unknown said...

The Beatles were a rock n' roll band, too.

I like Yellow Submarine as well - there's more going on there than just some cutesy kiddies' song.

g said...

Derek: I'm with you--George rules.

Neil: I can see what you're saying...although I kind of feel like at heart, they're more of a pop band that crosses over into rock every so often.

No matter what, Yellow Submarine just annoys the shit out of me.