October 26, 2009

El Perro del Mar//Change of Heart

I’m goin’ for to buy me some Monday|Monday Mail
What is Monday Mail?

Another Gothemburg export (like Jens), I’ve really enjoyed what I’ve heard from El Perro del Mar (literally "The Dog from the Sea" in Spanish). My friend Kirstin introduced me a few years back (thanks, LastFM recommendations!). Honestly, my biggest issue has been that some of the music is slightly repetitive and…cutesy…cutesy/sad…? Is that the right word?

Naturally my ears (er eyes) perked up when I saw this email from Myles at Sneak Attack:

We're going to keep descriptions of the new El Perro Del Mar music video to a minimum and let the video speak for itself. What we can say is that we'd be surprised if you've ever seen a music video like this. And please note, the entire video was shot in ONE TAKE.

The video (see below) is REALLY amazing. Also amazing is the song and the sound. I see it as a vast departure for EPdM. This sadness isn’t cute. It seems more complex, with a darkness, melancholy and a sort of 70s groove. I’m excited to check out the album, Love is not Pop.

You can catch her here in NYC on 11/9 at Webster Hall.



Change of Heart.mp3

Your voice in my ear,
Carry me back home.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

those guys are crazy. i saw a cirque du soleil show in vegas with something very similar (may have even been the same guys) and it was NUTS. and i love this song too. totally right about being less "cute".

g said...

Seems like it would be totally amazing to see these guys live. It's pretty spectacular, even on video.

I'm so glad it's less cute. Sounds much more mature to me.