April 22, 2009

Blondie//Hanging on the Telephone

Yeah, I know I’m not the only one who adores Debbie Harry. Still, does her veritable parade of ultra-fans mean I have to stop loving her? Or that I love her any less? Helllllllls No!

Of course, Blondie’s been all over my life for years. From a childhood full of North Jersey FM radio replays to a classic tape of “The Greatest Hits,” the band will always represent inescapable “funtimes” car music. However, it wasn’t until I read Please Kill Me (fifty billion thumbs up) , the quintessential written record of the oral history of all things punk (ACTUAL punk—as in the late 70s/early 80s real deal, NOT as in the pop punk of the 90s), that I fully indentified the band right in the ranks of the radical “forefathers” of a million new music forms, from the aforementioned Punk right up into New Wave. HOLY RUN-ON SENTENCE, BATMAN; HOW DO YOU REALLY FEEL?!?! Ms. Harry and her Blondie bandmates make many an amazing appearance in this book (just see page 204) and certainly established themselves as a fresh voice in this experimental scene and subsequently in music history. Of course, the cool thing about Blondie is that they also fused the Punk and New Wave sounds with Pop, Disco and Reggae. More on the band’s history here.

This track, off the legendary Parallel Lines, was one of the first two singles, the other being “Picture This.” Of course, you’ll probably know the most famous song off PL, the band’s first US hit, “Heart of Glass.” Really, there aren’t many bad tracks on this disc.

Anyway, I’ll say it again: I <3 You, Debbie Harry!!!
Blondie rocked so fucking hard in the 70s and 80s that I’m even willing to forgive them for their horrendous 90s reunion single, “Maria.”
If that’s not true love, I’m not sure what is.



Hanging on the Telephone.mp3

It's good to hear your voice, you know it's been so long.
If I don't get your call then everything goes wrong.
I want to tell you something you've known all along.
Don't leave me hanging on the telephone.

No comments: