March 18, 2009

BrakesBrakesBrakes//Two Shocks

I’m pretty endeared to BrakesBrakesBrakes (or Brakes, in the UK) for the following reasons:

1. Guitarist Eamon Hamilton posted this on their website:
"We are fundamentally responsible for the election of Barack Obama as President of the United States of America, yes," say Brakes. "If it hadn't been for our 5-second epic song "Cheney" (lyrics: "Cheney, Cheney, Cheney, stop being such a Dick"), then it is without a doubt that McCain would've won, and died, and Sarah Palin would have become President and Ruler of the Known Universe by April 2009 "We are fundamentally responsible for the election of Barack Obama as President of the United States of America, yes," say Brakes. "If it hadn't been for our 5-second epic song "Cheney" (lyrics: "Cheney, Cheney, Cheney, stop being such a Dick"), then it is without a doubt that McCain would've won, and died, and Sarah Palin would have become President and Ruler of the Known Universe by April 2009.
2. I’ve got a soft spot for Rough Trade bands.
3. They toured with Belle and Sebastian.
4. I wanted to like British Sea Power (especially when living in London), but couldn’t.
5. I actually really did like Electric Soft Parade.
6. I like the way Hamilton rolls that “r” all Donovan style on the word “reaper” in this song.
7. I also like the way the bass gets all scary, big, distorted and Radiohead-esque in the big build at the end. I get to thinking, “am I listening to a new brit poppy-ier version of that golden period between OK Computer and Amnesiac? And I like getting to thinking things like that.
8. SO. DANG. CATCHY.

This track is off their upcoming (4/20 BROOOOOO) release, Touchdown



Two Shocks.mp3

All I grew was disillusioned
And a little bit older.

No comments: