October 22, 2008

Joni Mitchell//California

Guys, I’m sorry but I’m probably going to be talking about California for quite a while, because it was SO AMAZING! I think I’m having a love affair with San Francisco. It’s like all that silly stuff Frank Sinatra said all over again.

On the first full day I was in town, Annie and I drove the Muir Woods, which was incredible, even in spite of almost running out of gas in the middle of nowhere. The sun was shining and the day was clear. The weather was a perfect 73 degrees. We got dizzying gorgeous views driving out of the city and over The Golden Gate bridge. I was overwhelmed with joy.

We had a great time exploring the woods and the trees, talking about lots of things. Here’s a picture of Annie with a giant fallen tree:



On our way home from our walk around the woods, we wound through California countryside, over hills, mountains, through weird little towns. I said, “Annie, don’t hate me for this,” and I popped in Ladies of the Canyon by Joni Mitchell. I just had to! It was too perfect.

Annie intelligently remarked that the quality of Mitchell’s voice is perfectly matched for the California air. I nerdily remarked that I had a childhood obsession with her extensive and inventive use of alternate tunings and rich production values, while bemoaning the absence of Blue from Annie’s car CD collection.



California.mp3

It’s too old,
And cold,
And settled in its ways here.

No comments: