October 15, 2008

The Gossip//Fire Sign, Bikini Kill//Rebel Girl, Sleater Kinney//Get Up

Hi darling! You look fabulous. It's OSS’s Queer Week!!!!

First and foremost, I would like to apologize for breaking format a lot this week. I’ll be taking three days off over the next two weeks, and I want to make sure the tune-to-biz day ratio stays on the up-and-up, so I’m throwing in some extra sweet songs this week. That said, without further delay, I present to you a feature:

My Super Queer Rock and Roll Crushes Countdown, Part 1: The Ladies

3. Beth Ditto of The Gossip

Beth Ditto is pretty damn sexy. She has one of the most entrancing stage presences of any performer I’ve ever seen. Bonus points for her On Our Backs spread with her tranny boyfriend. Hell yeah! Unrelated and weird sidenote: Ditto and Kate Moss have somehow become BFFs .



Fire Sign.mp3
by The Gossip


2. Kathleen Hanna of Bikini Kill, Julie Ruin and Le Tigre

OMG, Kathleen Hanna. This ultrasexy godmother of riotgirl is one pretty hot topic (get it!?!?!). Jokes. Yeah, Kathleen Hanna is gorgeous in every sense of the word and each of her musical projects kicks ass in a new way.



Rebel Girl.mp3
by Bikini Kill


1. Carrie Brownstein of Sleater Kinney and The Spells

Yeah, I know. I'm predictable. My biggest rock and roll crush http://www.blogger.com/img/gl.link.gifever is Carrie Brownstein. And she has been ever since I first bought The Hot Rock and fell head over heals for both her and SK (my previous favorite band, knocked out of position only recently by FFs). Carrie is an amazing guitarist and singer, a great performer and friends with Miranda July. Also, she's totally the finest human being ever. Did I mention she blogs for NPR? REPEAT: BLOGS FOR NPR. What else could a girl want?



Get Up.mp3
by Sleater Kinney

One Gay Fact: The word "dyke," originally a derogatory label for a masculine or butch woman, has been reappropriated as a positive term implying assertiveness and toughness, or simply as a neutral synonym for lesbian.


Rebel girl, rebel girl,
Rebel girl you are the queen of my world!

No comments: